In 2015, the Japanese market for wound care was valued at nearly $1.4 billion, and it will continue to increase over the forecast period. Please note that the market estimates in this report have shifted compared to iData’s previous Japanese wound and tissue management report due to major changes in the currency exchange rate between the U.S. dollar and the Japanese Yen.
In 2015, the combined market for wound care in Japan increased over 2014. Most of the market segments are well established, while other areas are still developing and growing in awareness across Japan. In 2015, the Japanese market for negative pressure wound therapy (NPWT) experienced the highest growth over the previous year. NPWT was approved for the Japanese market in November 2009, making it a new type of wound treatment. In addition, NPWT is an expensive form of wound treatment, resulting in greater initial growth.
The wound closure market showed the second highest growth rate in 2015. Wound closure devices represented the largest segment and are still growing steadily. The market consists of both less expensive products and costlier devices. An increasing number of laparoscopic procedures has resulted in growing demand for the premium-priced endoscopic staplers, which has significantly contributed to the high growth rate in 2015. The advanced dressings market, including moist dressings, antimicrobial dressings and interactive dressings, the interactive dressings and silver dressings segments showing greater growth potential in the future.
To read more about the Japan wound care market trends, take a look at our latest Expert Article from our Analysts:
Major Segments Covered in the Wound Care Market Report Suite
While this report suite contains all Japan wound and tissue management device data, each of the markets are also available as stand alone MedCore reports. This allows you to get access to only the wound and tissue management market research that you need. You can view all these included reports and segmentation here:
- Japan Market Overview for Wound and Tissue Management 2016 – MedView – Gives an easily accessible view of all wound and tissue management device markets and trends and aggregates the data together for a picture of the total Japan market.
- Japan Market Report for Wound Dressings 2016 – MedCore – This market includes the following types of dressings: advanced dressings, moist dressings, antimicrobial dressings and interactive dressings
- Japan Market Report for Anti-Adhesion 2016 – MedCore – The anti-adhesion market, also referred to as the adhesion prevention market, includes products aimed at minimizing surgical adhesions.
- Japan Market Report for Wound Closure 2016 – MedCore – This market includes devices that are used to close wounds resulting from open surgery or other traumas: sutures, staplers, ligating clip appliers, skin closure strips and cyanoacrylate-based tissue adhesives.
- Japan Market Report for Tissue Sealants 2016 – MedCore – Tissue sealants and glues are used in certain surgical procedures and for some types of bleeding. Tissue sealant market includes fibrin sealants, protein-based sealants, synthetic tissue sealant.
- Japan Market Report for Negative Pressure Wound Therapy 2016 – MedCore – Negative Pressure Wound Therapy (NPWT) has two forms which mainly differ in the type of dressing used to transfer NPWT to the wound surface: gauze or foam. The gauze type involves a drain wrapped in gauze topped by a sealed transparent dressing and the foam type uses a sealed polyurethane foam dressing attached by a tube to a vacuum pump.
- Japan Market Report for Hemostats 2016 – MedCore – Hemostats, also known as anti-hemorrhagic agents are used to promote hemostasis, a process to stop bleeding. This market includes the following types of hemostats: thrombin-based, polysaccharide-based, oxidized regenerated cellulose-based products, gelatin-based, collagen-based, combination hemostats and first responder products.
Buying all of these reports together in this suite package will provide you with substantial discounts from the separate prices. Request Pricing to Learn More
Wound and Tissue Management Market Report Data Types Included
- Unit Sales, Average Selling Prices, Market Value & Growth Trends
- Forecasts Until 2022, and Historical Data to 2012
- Market Drivers & Limiters for Each Wound and Tissue Management Segment
- Competitive Analysis with Market Shares for Each Segment
- Recent Mergers & Acquisitions
- Disease Overviews and Demographic Information
- Company Profiles, Product Portfolios and SWOT for Top Competitors
- Related Press Releases from Top Competitors
Wound Care Market Share Insights
In 2015, the leading competitor in the wound care market was Ethicon (a Johnson & Johnson company). It dominated the wound closure market through its dominant position in the suture and stapler markets. It also had large market share in the tissue management field of anti-adhesion products.
The second leading competitor in the wound care market in 2015 was Covidien, now part of Medtronic. Covidien participated in the wound closure market, where it offered products in sutures, staplers, ligation and tissue adhesive segments. Covidien is also a strong competitor in providing hospitals with traditional dressings such as cotton and gauze.
In 2015, the third leading competitor in the Japanese wound care market was CSL Behring. The company offers the fibrin sealant that was launched in Japan in 1988.
The report suite for wound care market includes analysis on the following companies:
3M, Acelity, ALCARE Co., Alfresa Pharma Corporation, Applied Medical, Asahi Kasei Medical, B.Braun, Baxter, BSN Medical, Chex, Coloplast, Convatec, Coreleader, Covidien, CryoLife, CSL Behring, Daiichi Sanyko, Genzyme and others.
Not all companies are currently active in every segment or sub-report from this suite. For more details contact an iData Research Product Advisor.