Cardiac Surgery Market Size, Share, and COVID-19 Impact Analysis | Europe | 2020-2026 | MedSuite | Includes: Tissue Heart Valve Market, TAVI/TAVR Market, and 21 more
- Year: 2020
- Scope: 2016-2026
- Region: Europe
- Pages: 739
- Published Date: 11/18/2020
- Type: MedSuite
In 2020, the European cardiac surgery device market size was valued at €2.6 billion, with over 50,000 Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation (TAVI) procedures performed. Despite COVID19, the market size is expected to reach an insane €5.6 billion in 2026.
Throughout this medical market research, we analyzed 40 cardiac surgery companies across 15 countries in Europe and used our comprehensive methodology to understand the market sizes, unit sales, company market shares, and to create accurate forecasts.
While this MedSuite report contains all of the EU Cardiac Surgery Device market analysis and data, each of the market segments is also available as stand-alone MedCore reports. This allows you to get access to only the market research that you need.
DATA TYPES INCLUDED
- Unit Sales, Average Selling Prices, Market Value & Growth Trends
- Procedure Volumes for the European Cardiac Surgery Devices
- Market Forecasts Until 2026, and Historical Data to 2016
- Competitive Analysis with Market Shares for Each Segment
- Market Drivers & Limiters for Each Cardiac Surgery Device Market
- Recent Mergers & Acquisitions
- COVID19 Impact on the Cardiac Surgery Device Market in Europe
- Disease Overviews and Demographic Information
- Company Profiles, Product Portfolios and SWOT for Top Competitors
EU Cardiac Surgery Market Insights
Minimally invasive heart valve therapies, such as TMVr and TAVI, have driven substantial growth in the total European cardiac surgery market. Companies such as Edwards Lifesciences, Medtronic, Abbott and Boston Scientific are all investing in studies and trials to show that their devices are an effective and safe alternative to open-heart surgery. As of 2019, TAVI devices began receiving CE mark approval for use on low-surgical risk patients, with some models projecting the patient pool increasing by as much as 50%.
Limiting the cardiac surgery market are alternative treatments, causing competition between segments. While the approval of transcatheter aortic valve implantation devices to be used on low-surgical risk patients will have a positive effect on the TAVI market, it will take sales away from the tissue heart valve market. This trend is seen across several devices covered in this report; where one segment is gaining market share, another is losing that share. In particular, the annuloplasty repair device market is hampered by the preference for valve replacement to treat mitral regurgitation.
COVID19 Impact on Cardiac Surgery Market in Europe
The negative impact of COVID-19 on the European cardiac surgery and heart valve device market is expected to be a decrease in the overall market value of approximately 30% in 2020 compared to previously anticipated values. The effects of the pandemic on the cardiac surgery and heart valve device market are expected to vary by market segment. Early in the year, non-emergency or elective surgeries were deferred, followed by PPE shortages and infection control restrictions adding to the delays as well. Despite the large drop in expected market value in 2020, the market is predicted to bounce back in 2021 and return to previously expected levels of growth by 2024.
EU Cardiac Surgery Market Share Analysis
Abbott led the total European cardiac surgery device market by 2020. The company was strongest in the rapidly expanding transcatheter mitral valve repair (TMVr) market. The MitraClip® transcatheter mitral valve repair system generated nearly half of its overall revenue for 2019.
Edwards Lifesciences took the second-leading spot in the cardiac surgery device market in Europe. The company generated the bulk of its revenue in the high-profile TAVI market but was also present in the tissue heart valve, annuloplasty repair device, and transcatheter mitral valve repair markets.
By 2020, Medtronic was the third-leading competitor in the total European cardiac surgery device market. The company derived the bulk of its revenue from the high-value TAVI market in 2019. Medtronic also has a strong foothold in the lucrative VAD market.
RESEARCH REGIONAL COVERAGE
Throughout this research series, iData Research has covered several countries in great detail. Each country may be purchased as a stand-alone report, tailoring the data to your needs. The countries covered are:
- Benelux (Belgium, Netherlands, and Luxembourg)
- Scandinavia (Norway, Finland, Sweden, and Denmark)
Detailed Market Segmentation
Each of the markets below is available for purchase as a standalone report, a MedCore.
- Procedure Volumes for Cardiac Surgery Market– MedPro – Using a number of databases, internal and external, we’re able to provide you with the volume of cardiac surgery procedures being performed in Europe, including Surgical Heart Valve, Annuloplasty Repair, Transcatheter Mitral Valve Repair, Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation procedures and many more.
- Tissue Heart Valve Market – MedCore – The market is further broken down into segments by:
- Device Type: Stented, Stentless, and Sutureless/Rapid Deployment;
- Tissue Type: Xenograft and Allograft.
- Mechanical Heart Valve Market – MedCore – In-depth analysis of the Mechanical Heart Valve Market.
- Annuloplasty Repair Device Market – MedCore – The chapter contains a detailed market analysis on the Annuloplasty Repair Device market.
- Transcatheter Mitral Valve Repair Device Market – MedCore – In-depth analysis of the Transcatheter Mitral Valve Repair Device market.
- Transcatheter Heart Valve Replacement Market – MedCore – The market analysis provides a closer look at the Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation Device Market.
- On-Pump Coronary Artery Bypass Device Market – MedCore – The market is further broken down into ONCAB Disposables and Perfusion System market segments.
- Off-Pump Coronary Artery Bypass Device Market – MedCore – The analysis is further segmented by Stabilizer and Positioner Device markets.
- Autotransfusion Device Market – MedCore – This chapter includes an in-depth analysis of the Anastomosis Assist Device market.
- Endoscopic Vessel Harvesting Device Market – MedCore – The in-depth analysis of the Endoscopic Vessel Harvesting Device market.
- Anastomosis Assist Device (AAD) Market – MedCore – The chapter takes a closer look at the
- Ventricular Assist Device (VAD) Market – MedCore – The market analysis is further broken down by Device Type into Percutaneous and Implantable markets.
- Intra-Aortic Balloon Pump Market – MedCore – The analysis includes the Intra-Aortic Balloon Pump Catheter and Console markets.
- Artificial Heart Device Market – MedCore – In-depth analysis of the Artificial Heart Replacement Device market.
- Patent Foramen Ovale Closure Device Market – MedCore – In-depth look at the Patent Foramen Ovale Closure Device market.
- Patent Ductus Arteriosus Closure Device Market – MedCore – In-depth analysis of the Patent Ductus Arteriosus Closure Device market.
- Atrial Septal & Ventricular Septal Defect Closure Device Market – MedCore – The chapter contains the market analysis categorized by Atrial and Ventricular Septal Defect Closure devices.
- Left Atrial Appendage Closure Device Market – MedCore – The market is further segmented by Device Type, such as Epicardial and Endocardial Device markets.
- Preshaped Guidewire Market – MedCore – In-depth analysis of the Patent Foramen Ovale Closure Device market.
- Cerebral Embolic Protection Device Market – Appendix – The chapter provides a market overview and a discussion on the growth of the Cerebral Embolic Protection Device market.
- Balloon Valvuloplasty Market – Appendix – The chapter is further broken down my markets for Aortic, Mitral, and Pulmonary devices.
- Transmyocardial Revascularization (TMR) Device Market – Appendix – The chapter provides an overview of the TMR Single-Use Fibre-Optic Handpiece and TMR Laser Console device markets.
DON’T SEE THE SEGMENT OR DATA YOU NEED?
Feel free to contact us or send a request by pressing one of the buttons below.
TABLE OF CONTENTS FOR THE EU CARDIAC SURGERY DEVICES MARKET REPORT SUITETABLE OF CONTENTS ILIST OF FIGURES XVLIST OF CHARTS XXXIVEXECUTIVE SUMMARY 1EUROPEAN CARDIAC SURGERY AND HEART VALVE DEVICE MARKET OVERVIEW 1COMPETITIVE ANALYSIS 4MARKET TRENDS 7MARKET DEVELOPMENTS 11PROCEDURE NUMBERS 13MARKETS INCLUDED 15KEY REPORT UPDATES 17VERSION HISTORY 17RESEARCH METHODOLOGY 18Step 1: Project Initiation & Team Selection 18Step 2: Prepare Data Systems and Perform Secondary Research 21Step 3: Preparation for Interviews & Questionnaire Design 23Step 4: Performing Primary Research 24Step 5: Research Analysis: Establishing Baseline Estimates 26Step 6: Market Forecast and Analysis 27Step 7: Identify Strategic Opportunities 29Step 8: Final Review and Market Release 30Step 9: Customer Feedback and Market Monitoring 31
DISEASE OVERVIEW2.1 BASIC ANATOMY 322.2 DISEASE TREATMENTS & DIAGNOSTICS 342.2.1 Coronary Artery Disease 342.2.2 Myocardial Infarction 342.2.3 Angina Pectoris 352.2.4 Heart Valve Disease 362.2.5 Congestive Heart Failure 362.2.6 Aortic Stenosis 372.2.7 Degenerative/Functional Mitral Regurgitation 392.3 PATIENT DEMOGRAPHICS 402.3.1 General Statistics 40
PRODUCT ASSESSMENT3.1 INTRODUCTION 413.2 PRODUCT PORTFOLIOS 413.2.1 Tissue Heart Valve Device 413.2.2 Mechanical Heart Valve Device 443.2.3 Annuloplasty Repair Device 463.2.4 Transcatheter Mitral Valve Repair Device 483.2.5 Transcatheter Heart Valve Replacement Device 493.2.6 Cerebral Embolic Protection Device 513.2.7 Balloon Valvuloplasty Device 523.2.8 On-Pump Coronary Artery Bypass Device 533.2.9 Off-Pump Coronary Artery Bypass Device 553.2.10 Autotransfusion Device 563.2.11 Endoscopic Vessel Harvesting Device 583.2.12 Anastomosis Assist Device 593.2.13 Transmyocardial Revascularization Device 603.2.14 Ventricular Assist Device 613.2.15 Intra-Aortic Balloon Pump Device 623.2.16 Artificial Heart Replacement Device 633.2.17 Remote Hemodynamic Monitoring System Device 643.2.18 Patent Foramen Ovale Device 653.2.19 Patent Ductus Arteriosus Closure Device 663.2.20 Atrial & Ventricular Septal Defect Device 683.2.21 Left Atrial Appendage Closure Device 693.2.22 Preshaped Guidewires 703.3 REGULATORY ISSUES AND RECALLS 713.4 CLINICAL TRIALS 943.4.1 Abbott 943.4.2 CryoLife 983.4.3 Edwards LifeSciences 993.4.4 Medtronic 104
EUROPEAN CARDIAC SURGERY AND HEART VALVE DEVICE MARKET OVERVIEW4.1 INTRODUCTION 1054.2 CURRENCY EXCHANGE RATE 1074.3 MARKET OVERVIEW 1084.4 TREND ANALYSIS BY SEGMENT 1184.5 DRIVERS AND LIMITERS 1234.5.1 Market Drivers 1234.5.2 Market Limiters 1244.6 COMPETITIVE MARKET SHARE ANALYSIS 1264.7 MERGERS AND ACQUISITIONS 1354.8 COMPANY PROFILES 1374.8.1 Abbott 1374.8.2 Abiomed 1394.8.3 AtriCure 1404.8.4 Boston Scientific 1414.8.5 CryoLife 1424.8.6 Edwards LifeSciences 1434.8.7 LivaNova 1444.8.8 Getinge 1454.8.9 Medtronic 1464.8.10 Teleflex 1464.8.11 Terumo 1484.9 SWOT ANALYSIS 1494.9.1 Abbott 1504.9.2 Abiomed 1514.9.3 AtriCure 1524.9.4 Boston Scientific 1534.9.5 CryoLife 1544.9.7 Edwards LifeSciences 1554.9.8 LivaNova 1564.9.10 Getinge 1574.9.11 Medtronic 1584.9.12 Teleflex 1594.9.13 Terumo 160
IMPACT OF COVID-19 ON THE EUROPEAN CARDIAC SURGERY AND HEART VALVE DEVICE MARKET5.1 INTRODUCTION 1615.2 MULTI-SCENARIO ANALYSIS 1622.214.171.124 Best Case Scenario 16126.96.36.199 Base Case Scenario 16188.8.131.52 Worst Case Scenario 175
COUNTRY PROFILES6.1 INTRODUCTION 1826.1.1 Population 1826.1.2 GDP Per Capita 1826.1.3 Price Index 1826.2 GERMANY 1836.3 FRANCE 1846.4 UNITED KINGDOM 1856.5 ITALY 1866.6 SPAIN 1876.7 BENELUX 1886.8 SCANDINAVIA 1896.9 AUSTRIA 1906.10 SWITZERLAND 1916.11 PORTUGAL 192
PROCEDURE NUMBERS7.1 INTRODUCTION 1937.2 PROCEDURES 1947.2.1 Total Cardiac Surgery Procedures 1947.2.2 Surgical Heart Valve Procedures 19184.108.40.206 Surgical Heart Valve Procedures by Device Type 19220.127.116.11.1 Tissue Heart Valve Procedures 2017.2.2.1.2 Mechanical Heart Valve Procedures 2037.2.2.2 Tissue Heart Valve Procedures 2057.2.2.2.1 Stented Tissue Heart Valve Procedures 2087.2.2.2.2 Stentless Tissue Heart Valve Procedures 218.104.22.168.3 Sutureless/Rapid Deployment Tissue Heart Valve Procedures 2127.2.2.2.4 Tissue Heart Valve Procedures by Valve Type 222.214.171.124.5 Tissue Heart Valve Procedures by Tissue Type 2126.96.36.199 Mechanical Heart Valve Procedures 22188.8.131.52.1 Total Mechanical Heart Valve Procedures 2267.2.3 Annuloplasty Repair Procedures 23184.108.40.206 Mitral Valve Procedures 23220.127.116.11 Tricuspid Valve Procedures 2377.2.4 Transcatheter Mitral Valve Repair Procedures 2387.2.5 Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation Procedures 2418.104.22.168.1 Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation Procedures by Approach 2422.214.171.124.2 Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation Procedures by Patient Risk Class 24126.96.36.199.3 Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation Procedures by CEPD 2467.2.6 Coronary Artery Bypass Graft Procedures 24188.8.131.52 Total Coronary Artery Bypass Graft Procedures 24184.108.40.206 ONCAB Procedures 25220.127.116.11 OPCAB Procedures 2527.2.1 Autotransfusion Procedures 2518.104.22.168 Total Autotransfusion Procedures 2522.214.171.124 Cardiovascular and Other Autotransfusion Procedures 25126.96.36.199 Orthopedic Autotransfusion Procedures 2577.2.2 Endoscopic Vessel Harvesting Procedures 25188.8.131.52 Open Vessel Harvesting Procedures 2607.2.2.2 Endoscopic Vessel Harvesting Procedures 2617.2.3 Anastomosis Assist Device Procedures 26184.108.40.206 Traditional Suture Procedures 26220.127.116.11 Anastomosis Assist Device Procedures 2657.2.4 Ventricular Assist Device Procedures 2618.104.22.168 Total Ventricular Assist Device Procedures 2622.214.171.124 Percutaneous VAD Procedures 2707.2.4.3 Implantable VAD Procedures 2737.2.5 Intra-Aortic Balloon Pump Procedures 2767.2.6 Artificial Heart Procedures 2797.2.7 Patent Foramen Ovale Closure Procedures 2827.2.8 Atrial and Ventricular Septal Defect Device Procedures 28126.96.36.199 Atrial Septal Defect Closure Procedures 28188.8.131.52 Ventricular Septal Defect Closure Procedures 2887.2.9 Left Atrial Appendage Closure Procedures 28184.108.40.206 Endocardial Procedures 29220.127.116.11 Epicardial Procedures 2918.104.22.168.1 Epicardial Clip Procedures 2922.214.171.124.2 Epicardial Suture Procedures 294
TISSUE HEART VALVE MARKET8.1 INTRODUCTION 2958.2 MARKET OVERVIEW 2978.3 MARKET ANALYSIS AND FORECAST 3038.3.1 Total Tissue Heart Valve Market 3038.3.2 Stented Tissue Heart Valve Market 3108.3.3 Stentless Tissue Heart Valve Market 3178.3.4 Sutureless/Rapid Deployment Tissue Heart Valve Market 3248.4 DRIVERS AND LIMITERS 3318.4.1 Market Drivers 3318.4.2 Market Limiters 3328.5 COMPETITIVE MARKET SHARE ANALYSIS 334MECHANICAL HEART VALVE MARKET 3379.1 INTRODUCTION 3379.2 MARKET ANALYSIS AND FORECAST 3399.3 DRIVERS AND LIMITERS 3469.3.1 Market Drivers 3469.3.2 Market Limiters 3479.4 COMPETITIVE MARKET SHARE ANALYSIS 348
ANNULOPLASTY REPAIR DEVICE MARKET10.1 INTRODUCTION 35110.2 MARKET ANALYSIS AND FORECAST 35210.3 DRIVERS AND LIMITERS 35910.3.1 Market Drivers 35910.3.2 Market Limiters 35910.4 COMPETITIVE MARKET SHARE ANALYSIS 361
TRANSCATHETER MITRAL VALVE REPAIR DEVICE MARKET11.1 INTRODUCTION 36411.2 MARKET ANALYSIS AND FORECAST 36511.3 DRIVERS AND LIMITERS 37311.3.1 Market Drivers 37311.3.2 Market Limiters 37411.4 COMPETITIVE MARKET SHARE ANALYSIS 375
TRANSCATHETER AORTIC VALVE IMPLANTATION DEVICE MARKET12.1 INTRODUCTION 37812.2 MARKET ANALYSIS AND FORECAST 37912.3 DRIVERS AND LIMITERS 38712.3.1 Market Drivers 38712.3.2 Market Limiters 38812.4 COMPETITIVE MARKET SHARE ANALYSIS 390
ON-PUMP CORONARY ARTERY BYPASS DEVICE MARKET13.1 INTRODUCTION 39513.2 MARKET OVERVIEW 39713.3 MARKET ANALYSIS AND FORECAST 40213.3.1 ONCAB Disposables Market 40213.3.2 Perfusion System Market 40913.4 DRIVERS AND LIMITERS 41813.4.1 Market Drivers 41813.4.2 Market Limiters 41913.5 COMPETITIVE MARKET SHARE ANALYSIS 421 For a Full Table of Contents, please contact iData.
iData’s 9-Step Research MethodologyOur reports follow an in-depth 9-step methodology which focuses on the following research systems:
- Original primary research that consists of the most up-to-date market data
- Strong foundation of quantitative and qualitative research
- Focused on the needs and strategic challenges of the industry participants
Step 1: Project Initiation & Team Selection During this preliminary investigation, all staff members involved in the industry discusses the topic in detail.
Step 2: Prepare Data Systems and Perform Secondary Research The first task of the research team is to prepare for the data collection process: Filing systems and relational databases are developed as needed.
Step 3: Preparation for Interviews & Questionnaire Design The core of all iData research reports is primary market research. Interviews with industry insiders represent the single most reliable way to obtain accurate, current data about market conditions, trends, threats and opportunities.
Step 4: Performing Primary Research At this stage, interviews are performed using contacts and information acquired in the secondary research phase.
Step 5: Research Analysis: Establishing Baseline Estimates Following the completion of the primary research phase, the collected information must be synthesized into an accurate view of the market status. The most important question is the current state of the market.
Step 6: Market Forecast and Analysis iData Research uses a proprietary method to combine statistical data and opinions of industry experts to forecast future market values.
Step 7: Identify Strategic Opportunities iData analysts identify in broad terms why some companies are gaining or losing share within a given market segment.
Step 8: Final Review and Market Release An integral part of the iData research methodology is a built-in philosophy of quality control and continuing improvement is integral to the iData philosophy.
Step 9: Customer Feedback and Market Monitoring iData philosophy of continuous improvement requires that reports and consulting projects be monitored after release for customer feedback and market accuracy.