The COVID-19 pandemic had a negative impact on multiple industries and decreased the demand for many medical devices and pharmaceutical products. Even though the larger number of hospitalizations due to complications caused by the virus has created an increase in demand for certain products, the overall demand for intravenous (IV) solutions went down in the second quarter of 2021. After looking into the data and with updated SKU analysis, our team of analysts pointed out that the market shows signs of recovery with sales volumes approaching pre-pandemic levels.
Types of IV Solutions
There are many types of IV solutions in the market. To get a better view of the US market, we analyzed purchase order data from more than 1,700 facilities for a total of 339 SKUs (stock-keeping units). The segments in the analysis are:
- Drug Reconstitution,
- Irrigation Solution,
- IV Solution,
- Multi Electrolyte.
Under those subdivisions the intravenous solutions and associated products under the scope of this analysis are:
- Acetic Acid Irrigation,
- Additive Caps,
- Dextrose Injection,
- Dextrose/NaCl Injection,
- Glycine Irrigation,
- KCl/Dextrose Injection,
- KCl/Dextrose/NaCl Injection,
- KCl/NaCl Injection,
- Lactated Ringer’s Injection,
- Lactated Ringer’s Irrigation,
- Osmitrol Injection,
- Sodium Chloride Injection and Irrigation
- Sorbitol Irrigation,
- Sterile Water Injection and Irrigation,
Big names in the healthcare industry are the manufacturers of those intravenous solutions: Baxter, B. Braun, Becton Dickinson, Grifols, ICU Medical, and Pfizer are some examples.
IV Solutions With Increased Demand after COVID-19
- Drug Reconstitution Solutions: The number of drug reconstitution solutions units sold has been consistently increasing after an abrupt decrease in Q2 2020.
- Irrigation Solutions: Even though the number of units sold for irrigation solutions in the first quarter of 2021 is still below the previous year volume, the analysis shows a quick recovery right after the negative impact in Q2 2020.
Top Manufacturers of IV Solutions
Baxter dominates the market for IV solutions with its strong presence in sodium chloride injection. Data from the first quarter of 2021 shows a slight decrease in Baxter’s market share in the overall IV solutions sales revenue compared to the previous quarter. However, the company maintains the leading revenue share position for the last few quarters.
B Braun is another notable competitor, manufacturing multiple intravenous solutions. The company has increased its revenue share in the first quarter of 2021 as the average selling price of many IV solutions manufactured by them went up.
iData’s MedSKU allows you to: quantify pre- and post-COVID-19 market impact, view price trends, understand the market response to new product launches and determine the most popular product configurations (brands, dimensions, etc.). And answer specific questions like:
– Have certain competitors fared better than others?
– Has recent events impacted market share distribution?
– Which bag sizes are most popular?
– Which solutions are generating the most revenue?
– Some companies gained market share recently. Will we see them continue to grow in the coming quarters?