1. Medtronic acquires Covidien for $42.9 billion in cash and stock
2. US Bilateral Breast Reconstruction Rate is One of the Highest in the World.
U.S. soft tissue reinforcement and regeneration market analysis reported the main trend that is driving the high rate of bilateral breast reconstruction in the U.S. is the increased tendency for women to opt for a contralateral prophylactic mastectomy (CPM), a risk reducing mastectomy for patients diagnosed with breast cancer.
3. Spinal Implant Patients in Taiwan Receive Care with Unique Reimbursement Structures
New Asia-Pacific Spinal Implant and Vertebral Compression Fracture market report, spinal implant patients in Taiwan may receive expedient surgical attention, driven by financial incentives offered by local manufacturers and distributors
4. Medtronic and Depuy Synthes Battle For Top Spot in the $5.5 Billion Spinal Implant Market
Growing popularity of motion preservation procedures coupled with pending positive reimbursement changes will have a cannibalizing effect on the traditional spine market.
5. FDA Raises Warnings on the Use of Laparoscopic Power Morcellators
The FDA warns against using laparoscopic power morcellators in the removal of the uterus (hysterectomy) or fibroids (myomectomy) in the vast majority of women.
7. Thermo Fisher Scientific Acquires Life Technology Corp, for $14.6 billion
This acquisition would give lab products make Thermo Fisher access to the DNA sequencing market.
10..New study appraised effectiveness and safety of 5 widely used device technologies. Research team led by Art Sedrakyan, Associate Professor at Weill Cornell Medical College in New York study concluded no convincing evidence supporting the use of the newer devices. Furthermore, higher revision rates were reported with three of the newer devices, used in both hip and knee replacement surgery.