Cardiac Surgery Market Analysis, Size, Trends | United States | 2020-2026 | COVID19 | MedSuite
- Year: 2020
- Scope: 2016-2026
- Region: United States
- Pages: 618
- Published Date: 10/08/2020
- Type: MedSuite
By 2020, the U.S. cardiac surgery market size was valued at $7.2 billion, with over 91,000 transcatheter heart valve replacement (TAVR) procedures performed every year. The market size is expected to increase at a growth rate of 7.7% to reach $12.1 billion in 2026.
Throughout this medical market research, we analyzed 43 cardiac surgery companies across the United States and used our comprehensive methodology to understand the market sizes, unit sales, company market shares, and to create accurate forecasts.
While this MedSuite report contains all of the US Cardiac Surgery Device market analysis and data, each of the market segments is also available as stand-alone MedCore reports. This allows you to get access to only the market research that you need.
DATA TYPES INCLUDED
- Unit Sales, Average Selling Prices, Market Value & Growth Trends
- Procedure Volumes for the Cardiac Surgery Devices
- Market Forecasts Until 2026, and Historical Data to 2016
- Competitive Analysis with Market Shares for Each Segment
- Market Drivers & Limiters for Each Cardiac Surgery Device Market
- Recent Mergers & Acquisitions
- COVID19 Impact on the Cardiac Surgery Device Market in the US
- Disease Overviews and Demographic Information
- Company Profiles, Product Portfolios and SWOT for Top Competitors
Cardiac Surgery Market Insights
A major limiter to the cardiac surgery market is the limited clinical data available for some of the newer markets. Growth in the cerebral embolic protection (CEPD) market may be limited until a large randomized clinical trial is conducted to determine the device’s exact role in reducing cerebral ischemic volumes. The CEPD market has experienced strong growth in recent years but may be unable to reach its full market potential without this additional clinical data.
A major driver in the cardiac surgery market is the patient population, which is large for many of the indications for cardiac surgery devices. Approximately 1.2 million people in the U.S. have calcified or otherwise damaged aortic valves. This condition is typically present in patients who have several other co-morbidities, making them poor candidates for open, invasive surgery. Similarly, children with congenital defects would benefit from a percutaneous approach because they would not have to undergo repeated invasive procedures as they age.
COVID19 Impact on Cardiac Surgery Market in the US
The invasive cardiac surgery market is likely to be impacted the most severely by COVID-19. It is likely that the on-pump coronary artery bypass and off-pump coronary artery bypass market segments will decline as less invasive methods of treatment are preferred. This is expected to have a knock-on effect on other devices used in invasive surgery, such as anastomosis assist devices and endoscopic vessel harvesting devices.
The COVID19 impact on the transcatheter heart valve replacement (TAVR) market is likely to be similar to the balloon valvuloplasty, cerebral embolic protection, and preshaped guidewire markets. Conversely, the transcatheter mitral valve repair (TMVR) market will be severely impacted, as these procedures are resource-intensive and time-consuming. Overall, the US cardiac surgery market is expected to return to pre-COVID19 levels in early- / mid-2021.
Cardiac Surgery Market Share Insight
By 2020, Edwards Lifesciences was the competitive leader of the cardiac surgery and heart valve device market in the US. The company generated the majority of its total cardiac surgery and heart valve device revenue in the high-value transcatheter aortic valve replacement market. Edward’s Lifesciences pioneered the transcatheter aortic valve replacement segment, which is expected to experience significant growth propelled by the expanding indications for Edward’s devices to include low-risk patients.
Abbott was the second-leading competitor in the US cardiac surgery market by 2020. The company is the only competitor in the transcatheter mitral valve repair (TMVR) market, with its MitraClip™. The market is set to experience significant growth following approval of the device for secondary mitral regurgitation. Abbott is also the leading competitor in multiple structural heart defect occlusion devices.
The third-leading competitor in the cardiac surgery market in the US was Medtronic. The company’s strong position comes from its presence in the transcatheter heart valve replacement segment, with its CoreValve Evolut R® Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement product.
Detailed Market Segmentation
Each of the markets below is available for purchase as a standalone report, a MedCore.
- Procedure Volumes for Cardiac Surgery Market– MedPro – Using a number of databases, internal and external, we’re able to provide you with the volume of cardiac surgery procedures being performed in the US, including Surgical Heart Valve Replacement, Annuloplasty Repair, Transcatheter Mitral Valve Repair, Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement, Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting, Ventricular Assist Device, Heart Transplant, Intra-Aortic Balloon Counterpulsation, Atrial & Ventricular Septal Defect Closure, Left Atrial Appendage Closure procedures, and more.
- Tissue Heart Valve Market – MedCore – The market is further broken down into segments by:
- Device Type: Stented, Stentless, Covered Stents, and Sutureless/Rapid Deployment;
- Tissue Type: Xenograft and Allograft.
- Mechanical Heart Valve Market – MedCore – The market is also further segmented by Device Type into with and without conduit markets.
- Annuloplasty Repair Device Market – MedCore – The chapter contains the market analysis which is categorized by Ring and Band devices.
- Transcatheter Mitral Valve Repair Device Market – MedCore – In-depth analysis of the Transcatheter Mitral Valve Repair Device market.
- Transcatheter Heart Valve Replacement Market – MedCore – The market and its analysis are categorized into Transcatheter Aortic Value Replacement and Transcatheter Pulmonary Value Replacement markets.
- Cerebral Embolic Protection Device Market – MedCore – In-depth analysis of the Cerebral Embolic Protection Device market.
- Balloon Valvuloplasty Market – MedCore – The chapter is further broken down to Aortic, Mitral, Pulmonary, and Hybrid devices.
- On-Pump Coronary Artery Bypass Device Market – MedCore – The market is further broken down into ONCAB Disposables and Perfusion System market segments.
- Off-Pump Coronary Artery Bypass Device Market – MedCore – The analysis is further segmented by Stabilizer Device, Positioner, and OPCAB Accessories markets.
- Autotransfusion Device Market – MedCore – This market consists of the segments for the Autotransfusion Machine and Disposables.
- Endoscopic Vessel Harvesting Device Market – MedCore – The in-depth analysis of the Endoscopic Vessel Harvesting Device Market.
- Anastomosis Assist Device (AAD) Market – MedCore – The chapter takes a closer look at the different market segments, including Distal and Proximal anastomosis assist devices.
- Transmyocardial Revascularization Market – MedCore –The market analysis includes the segments, such as Single-Use Fibre-Optic Handpiece and TMR Laser Console markets.
- Ventricular Assist Device (VAD) Market – MedCore – The market analysis is further broken down by Device Type into Percutaneous, Implantable, and External VAD markets.
- Intra-Aortic Balloon Pump Market – MedCore – The analysis includes the Intra-Aortic Balloon Pump Catheter and Console markets.
- Artificial Heart Replacement Device Market – MedCore – In-depth analysis of the Artificial Heart Replacement Device market.
- Remote Hemodynamic Monitoring System Market – MedCore – In-depth analysis of the Remote Hemodynamic Monitoring System market.
- Patent Foramen Ovale Closure Device Market – MedCore – In-depth analysis of the Patent Foramen Ovale Closure Device market.
- Patent Ductus Arteriosus Closure Device Market – MedCore – In-depth analysis of the Patent Ductus Arteriosus Closure Device market.
- Atrial Septal & Ventricular Septal Defect Closure Device Market – MedCore – The chapter contains the market analysis categorized by Atrial Septal Defect Closure and Ventricular Septal Defect Closure devices.
- Left Atrial Appendage Closure Device Market – MedCore – The market is further segmented by Device Type, such as Epicardial Device and Endocardial Device markets.
- Preshaped Guidewire Market – MedCore – In-depth analysis of the Patent Foramen Ovale Closure Device market.
- Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation Market – MedCore – The detailed analysis of the Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation Market.
DON’T SEE THE SEGMENT OR DATA YOU NEED?
Feel free to contact us or send a request by pressing one of the buttons below.
TABLE OF CONTENTS FOR THE US CARDIAC SURGERY MARKET REPORT SUITETABLE OF CONTENTS ILIST OF FIGURES XVILIST OF CHARTS XXVIIEXECUTIVE SUMMARY 1U.S. CARDIAC SURGERY AND HEART VALVE DEVICE MARKET OVERVIEW 1COMPETITIVE ANALYSIS 4MARKET TRENDS 8MARKET DEVELOPMENTS 13PROCEDURE NUMBERS 14PROCEDURE CODES INVESTIGATED 18MARKETS INCLUDED 19KEY REPORT UPDATES 23VERSION HISTORY 24RESEARCH METHODOLOGY 25Step 1: Project Initiation & Team Selection 25Step 2: Prepare Data Systems and Perform Secondary Research 28Step 3: Preparation for Interviews & Questionnaire Design 30Step 4: Performing Primary Research 31Step 5: Research Analysis: Establishing Baseline Estimates 33Step 6: Market Forecast and Analysis 34Step 7: Identify Strategic Opportunities 36Step 8: Final Review and Market Release 37Step 9: Customer Feedback and Market Monitoring 38
DISEASE OVERVIEW2.1 BASIC ANATOMY 392.2 DISEASE TREATMENTS & DIAGNOSTICS2.2.1 Coronary Artery Disease 412.2.2 Myocardial Infarction 412.2.3 Angina Pectoris 422.2.4 Heart Valve Disease 432.2.5 Congestive Heart Failure 432.2.6 Aortic Stenosis 442.2.7 Degenerative/Functional Mitral Regurgitation 462.3 PATIENT DEMOGRAPHICS 472.3.1 General Statistics 47
PRODUCT ASSESSMENT3.1 INTRODUCTION 483.2 PRODUCT PORTFOLIOS 483.2.1 Tissue Heart Valve Device 483.2.2 Mechanical Heart Valve Device 513.2.3 Annuloplasty Repair Device 533.2.4 Transcatheter Mitral Valve Repair Device 553.2.5 Transcatheter Heart Valve Replacement Device 563.2.6 Cerebral Embolic Protection Device 583.2.7 Balloon Valvuloplasty Device 593.2.8 On-Pump Coronary Artery Bypass Device 603.2.9 Off-Pump Coronary Artery Bypass Device 623.2.10 Autotransfusion Device 633.2.11 Endoscopic Vessel Harvesting Device 653.2.12 Anastomosis Assist Device 663.2.13 Transmyocardial Revascularization Device 673.2.14 Ventricular Assist Device 683.2.15 Intra-Aortic Balloon Pump Device 693.2.16 Artificial Heart Replacement Device 703.2.17 Remote Hemodynamic Monitoring System Device 713.2.18 Patent Foramen Ovale Device 723.2.19 Patent Ductus Arteriosus Closure Device 733.2.20 Atrial & Ventricular Septal Defect Device 753.2.21 Left Atrial Appendage Closure Device 763.2.22 Preshaped Guidewires 773.3 REGULATORY ISSUES AND RECALLS 783.4 CLINICAL TRIALS 1013.4.1 Abbott 1013.4.2 CryoLife 1053.4.3 Edwards LifeSciences 1063.4.4 Medtronic 111
IMPACT OF COVID-19 ON U.S. CARDIAC SURGERY AND HEART VALVE DEVICE MARKET4.1 INTRODUCTION 1124.2 MULTI-SCENARIO ANALYSIS 1220.127.116.11 Best Case Scenario 118.104.22.168 Base Case Scenario 122.214.171.124 Worst Case Scenario 121
U.S. CARDIAC SURGERY AND HEART VALVE DEVICE MARKET BY SEGMENT MARKET OVERVIEW5.1 INTRODUCTION 1255.2 MARKET OVERVIEW 1275.3 TREND ANALYSIS BY SEGMENT 1345.4 DRIVERS AND LIMITERS 1395.4.1 Market Drivers 1395.4.2 Market Limiters 1405.5 COMPETITIVE MARKET SHARE ANALYSIS 1425.6 MERGERS AND ACQUISITIONS 1505.7 COMPANY PROFILES 1535.7.1 Abbott 1535.7.2 Abiomed 1555.7.3 AtriCure 1565.7.4 Boston Scientific 1575.7.5 CryoLife 1585.7.6 Edwards LifeSciences 1595.7.7 LivaNova 1605.7.8 Getinge 1615.7.9 Medtronic 1625.7.10 Teleflex 1625.7.11 Terumo 1645.8 SWOT ANALYSIS 1655.8.1 Abbott 1665.8.2 Abiomed 1675.8.3 AtriCure 1685.8.4 Boston Scientific 1695.8.5 CryoLife 1705.8.7 Edwards LifeSciences 1715.8.8 LivaNova 1725.8.10 Getinge 1735.8.11 Medtronic 1745.8.12 Teleflex 1755.8.13 Terumo 176
PROCEDURE NUMBERS6.1 INTRODUCTION 1776.2 CARDIAC SURGERY AND HEART VALVE PROCEDURES 1786.3 SURGICAL HEART VALVE REPLACEMENT PROCEDURES 1836.3.1 Tissue Heart Valve Procedures by Valve Type 1856.3.2 Tissue Heart Valve Procedures by Device Type 1876.3.3 Tissue Heart Valve Procedures by Tissue Type 1896.3.4 Mechanical Heart Valve Replacement Procedures by Valve Type 1916.3.5 Mechanical Heart Valve Replacement Procedures by Tissue Type 1936.4 ANNULOPLASTY REPAIR PROCEDURES 1956.4.1 Annuloplasty Repair Procedures by Valve Type 1956.4.2 Annuloplasty Repair Procedures by Device Type 1976.5 TRANSCATHETER MITRAL VALVE REPAIR PROCEDURES 1996.5.1 Transcatheter Mitral Valve Procedures by Approach 2006.5.2 Transcatheter Mitral Valve Repair Procedures by Disease 2026.6 TRANSCATHETER HEART VALVE REPLACEMENT PROCEDURES 2046.6.1 Transcatheter Heart Valve Replacement Procedures by Valve Type 2046.6.1.1 Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement (TAVR) Procedures by Approach 2066.6.1.2 Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement (TAVR) Procedures by Patient Risk Class 2086.6.1.3 Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement (TAVR) Procedures by Embolic Protection 2126.96.36.199 Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement (TAVR) Procedures by Therapy 2188.8.131.52 Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement (TAVR) Procedures by Location 2146.7 BALLOON VALVULOPLASTY PROCEDURES 2166.8 CABG PROCEDURES 2186.8.1 CABG Procedures by Support Type 2206.8.2 CABG Vessel Harvesting Procedures by Type 2226.8.3 CABG Procedures by Suture Type 2246.8.4 CABG Procedures by Approach 2266.9 TRANSMYOCARDIAL REVASCULARIZATION PROCEDURES 2296.10 VENTRICULAR ASSIST DEVICE PROCEDURES 2316.10.1 Ventricular Assist Procedures by Device Type 23184.108.40.206 Percutaneous Ventricular Assist Procedures by Heart Side 23220.127.116.11 Percutaneous Ventricular Assist Procedures by Indication 2318.104.22.168 Implantable Ventricular Assist Procedures by Indication 2322.214.171.124 Implantable Ventricular Assist Procedures by Area 23126.96.36.199 External Ventricular Assist Procedures by Device Type 2416.11 INTRA-AORTIC BALLOON COUNTERPULSATION PROCEDURES 2436.11.1 Intra-Aortic Balloon Counterpulsation Procedures by Setting 2436.11.2 Intra-Aortic Balloon Counterpulsation Procedures by Device Type 2456.12 HEART TRANSPLANT PROCEDURES 2476.13 REMOTE HEMODYNAMIC MONITORING DEVICE IMPLANTATION PROCEDURES 2496.14 PATENT FORAMEN OVALE CLOSURE PROCEDURES 2516.15 PATENT DUCTUS ARTERIOSUS CLOSURE PROCEDURES 2536.16 SEPTAL DEFECT CLOSURE PROCEDURES 2556.16.1 Septal Defect Closure Procedures by Anatomy 2556.17 LEFT ATRIAL APPENDAGE CLOSURE PROCEDURES 2576.17.1 Left Atrial Appendage Closure Procedures by Type 25188.8.131.52 Epicardial Device Procedures by Device Type 2606.17.1.1.1 Epicardial Clip Device Procedures by Approach 262
TISSUE HEART VALVE MARKET7.1 INTRODUCTION 2647.2 MARKET OVERVIEW 2667.2.1 Tissue Heart Valve Market by Device Type 2677.2.2 Tissue Heart Valve Market by Tissue Type 2717.3 MARKET ANALYSIS AND FORECAST 2757.3.1 Total Tissue Heart Valve Market 2757.3.2 Tissue Heart Valve Market by Device Type 27184.108.40.206 Stented Tissue Heart Valve Market 27220.127.116.11 Sutureless/Rapid Deployment Tissue Heart Valve Market 2718.104.22.168 Stentless Tissue Heart Valve Market 2817.3.3 Tissue Heart Valve Market by Tissue Type 2822.214.171.124 Xenograft Tissue Heart Valve Market 28126.96.36.199 Allograft Tissue Heart Valve Market 2857.4 DRIVERS AND LIMITERS 2877.4.1 Market Drivers 2877.4.2 Market Limiters 2877.5 COMPETITIVE MARKET SHARE ANALYSIS 289
MECHANICAL HEART VALVE MARKET8.1 INTRODUCTION 2928.2 MARKET OVERVIEW 2938.3 MARKET ANALYSIS AND FORECAST 2978.3.1 Total Mechanical Heart Valve Market 2978.3.2 Mechanical Heart Valve without Conduit Market 2998.3.3 Mechanical Heart Valve with Conduit Market 3018.4 DRIVERS AND LIMITERS 3038.4.1 Market Drivers 3038.4.2 Market Limiters 3048.5 COMPETITIVE MARKET SHARE ANALYSIS 305
ANNULOPLASTY REPAIR DEVICE MARKET9.1 INTRODUCTION 3089.2 MARKET OVERVIEW 3109.3 MARKET ANALYSIS AND FORECAST 3149.3.1 Total Annuloplasty Repair Device Market 3149.3.2 Ring Device Market 3169.3.3 Band Device Market 3189.4 DRIVERS AND LIMITERS 3209.4.1 Market Drivers 3209.4.2 Market Limiters 3219.5 COMPETITIVE MARKET SHARE ANALYSIS 322
TRANSCATHETER MITRAL VALVE REPAIR DEVICE MARKET10.1 INTRODUCTION 32510.2 MARKET ANALYSIS AND FORECAST 32610.3 DRIVERS AND LIMITERS 32810.3.1 Market Drivers 32810.3.2 Market Limiters 32910.4 COMPETITIVE MARKET SHARE ANALYSIS 33110.4.1 Potential Competitors 331
TRANSCATHETER HEART VALVE REPLACEMENT DEVICE MARKET11.1 INTRODUCTION 33511.2 MARKET OVERVIEW 33711.3 MARKET ANALYSIS AND FORECAST 34111.3.1 Total Transcatheter Heart Valve Replacement Device Market 34111.3.2 Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement Device Market 34311.3.3 Transcatheter Pulmonary Valve Replacement Device Market 34611.4 DRIVERS AND LIMITERS 34811.4.1 Market Drivers 34811.4.2 Market Limiters 34911.5 COMPETITIVE MARKET SHARE ANALYSIS 35111.5.1 Potential Competitors 352
CEREBRAL EMBOLIC PROTECTION DEVICE MARKET12.1 INTRODUCTION 35512.2 MARKET ANALYSIS AND FORECAST 35612.3 DRIVERS AND LIMITERS 35812.3.1 Market Drivers 35812.3.2 Market Limiters 35812.4 COMPETITIVE MARKET SHARE ANALYSIS 360For a Full Table of Contents, please contact iData.
iData’s 9-Step Research MethodologyOur reports follow an in-depth 9-step methodology which focuses on the following research systems:
- Original primary research that consists of the most up-to-date market data
- Strong foundation of quantitative and qualitative research
- Focused on the needs and strategic challenges of the industry participants
Step 1: Project Initiation & Team Selection During this preliminary investigation, all staff members involved in the industry discusses the topic in detail.
Step 2: Prepare Data Systems and Perform Secondary Research The first task of the research team is to prepare for the data collection process: Filing systems and relational databases are developed as needed.
Step 3: Preparation for Interviews & Questionnaire Design The core of all iData research reports is primary market research. Interviews with industry insiders represent the single most reliable way to obtain accurate, current data about market conditions, trends, threats and opportunities.
Step 4: Performing Primary Research At this stage, interviews are performed using contacts and information acquired in the secondary research phase.
Step 5: Research Analysis: Establishing Baseline Estimates Following the completion of the primary research phase, the collected information must be synthesized into an accurate view of the market status. The most important question is the current state of the market.
Step 6: Market Forecast and Analysis iData Research uses a proprietary method to combine statistical data and opinions of industry experts to forecast future market values.
Step 7: Identify Strategic Opportunities iData analysts identify in broad terms why some companies are gaining or losing share within a given market segment.
Step 8: Final Review and Market Release An integral part of the iData research methodology is a built-in philosophy of quality control and continuing improvement is integral to the iData philosophy.
Step 9: Customer Feedback and Market Monitoring iData philosophy of continuous improvement requires that reports and consulting projects be monitored after release for customer feedback and market accuracy.