In a $1.8 billion deal announced earlier this week, Dentsply International agreed to buy Astra Tech, a provider of dental implant products owned by AstraZeneca. Swedish-based Astra Tech, which had revenue last year of $535 million, is the world’s third-largest dental implants maker after Straumann and Nobel Biocare. Dentsply said the transaction was expected to increase its revenue by about 25 percent. The technology Astra Tech uses for abutment manufacturing could also enhance Dentsply’s prosthetics division, which already uses some CAD/CAM technology.
This is just one of several dental acquisitions that have taken place in recent months:
- Stryker Corp. signed a definitive agreement to acquire Orthovita Inc., a small maker of orthobiologic and biosurgery products, for about $304 million last month. Orthovita competes in the $5 billion orthobiologics market, offering synthetic bone grafts through its Vitoss product and also competes in vertebral augmentation with its Cortoss product.
- Henry Schein, Inc., the largest provider of health care products and services to office-based practitioners acquired Sogim Grimouille, a full-service dental distribution company. This transaction is expected to strengthen Henry Schein’s dental presence in France.
- Align Technology announced May 2 that it has completed the acquisition of privately-held Cadent Holdings (Cadent), a leading provider of 3-D digital scanning solutions for orthodontics and dentistry and makers of the iTero and OrthoCAD iOC scanning systems
- Lifco Group, a Swedish based industrial and dental trading group owned by Carl Bennet AB, signed a share purchase agreement to acquire European Dental Partners (EDP) from private equity firm Silverfleet Capital. Following the acquisition, Lifco will become one of Europe´s leading distributors of consumables, equipment and technical services to dental offices and dental laboratories.
- The WIELAND Dental group acquired a majority shareholding in the CAD/CAM-manufacturing centre Digident GmbH. The company announced that this investment represents a further stage in the expansion of its technological expertise and enables the offering of complimentary products to its customers, such as individual titanium abutments.